Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Recently I was prescribed a QVAR inhaler and an albuterol inhaler.

Recently I was prescribed a QVAR inhaler and an albuterol inhaler. I haven't really taken them yet because I'm worried I'll have some kind of reaction to them, but I really have to start taking them according to my doctor. Is there anything to worry about with these medications and are they well tolerated? According to the study it doesn't look like there are any when compared with placebo, but still...

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Qvar inhaler contains beclometasone {corticosteroid}. It is used to prevent and control symptoms (wheezing and shortness of breath) caused by asthma. It does not work immediately {acute attack} and so should not be used to relieve an asthma attack.

Albuterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. It is used to treat or prevent bronchospasm.

Both the medicines act on the muscles of the airway {local effect} - do not have any systemic effect {as compared to oral or intravenous medicines}. This makes them well tolerated and have less side effects.

If you were my relative or close friend I would suggest you to follow the doctors instructions and start the inhalers. They will be beneficial for sure.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So people do not really have severe or extreme reactions that cause hives, difficulty breathing, etc?

Michael,

All the medicines have side effects but with medicines which act locally {as inhalers} the reactions are very rare.

You do not need to worry of them.

Best