Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

still waiting for an answer and paid $75

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

have you had your anal sphincter checked?

is it working properly?

do you have any numbness around your anal sphincter?

any diarrhea or constipation?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Since the left side of my body remains quite numb as a result of Bell's palsy (11 years ago) could the numbness be a cause?

bell's palsy is paralysis on one side of the face.

if you have numbness on the full one side of your body, this is more than just bell's palsy.

this numbness on one full side of the body is possibly from a stroke or from damage to the spinal cord.

if you have a possible stroke or damage to the spinal cord, this can cause damage to the anal spinchter and cause it to be weak and not be able to hold back stool.

this can result in you deficating in your underwear.

have you had a brain MRI scan and spinal cord MRI scan to check for stroke or spinal cord damage?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Saw the dermatologist a few days ago--She has always believed the diagnosis of West Nile was wrong and it was a stroke--and the scan showed brain damage at the time

brain damage on a brain MRI scan and numbness on one side of your body is a stroke

and if part of your brain was damaged which controls your anal sphincter, this can cause you to not be able to control your stools and deficate in your underwear occationally.

does this make sense?

do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

But would this be happening 11 years after the stroke?

it could if the damage of your brain is progressing.

you would need another MRI scan of the brain to see if damage of your brain is progressing

and you need to see a neurologist who can check the areas of your body where you have numbness

and perform a digital rectal examination to see if you have strength of your anal sphincter.

this would be able to tell if your prior stroke is worsening and causing this new problem.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm grateful for your information--It was actually my brain stem that was damaged--Little or no therapy was available (for W Nile) and I mapped out a route and for 7 years walked 2 1/2 miles every night--couldn't walk during the day--If distracted would fall--My balance is still not good--Thank you--I always knew it was a stroke--

brain stem damage can definitely cause loss of strength of your anal sphincter many years out.

see a neurologist and see if kegal exercises or rehabilitation might help you

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.