Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I recently engaged in a risky sex act with a same sex partner.

I recently engaged in a risky sex act with a same sex partner. I was on bottom. He wore a condom and it didn't break. I saw the semen in the condom when it was removed. The act lasted about 2-3 minutes. My question is, what is the chance of receiving HIV from a one time act like this?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see an answer

Sorry, I am at work and my nurse keeps bothering me to do my day job :)

Since a condom was used, it was intact and you were not exposed to any semen or bodily fluids your risk of getting HIV from this sexual encounter is very low, especially when a water based lube is used to reduce the chance of the condom breaking.

Use of a condom,like your did, reduces your chances of getting HIV from an infected partner during receptive anal sex from about 0.5 to less then one in 10,000.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS