Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

Hi there, I have this dry but very annoying cough for quite

Hi there,

I have this dry but very annoying cough for quite a long time now (4-5 weeks). I didn't have any flu or cold symptoms. I have this tickling feeling all the time and the cough gets worse in the evening.

Is there anything I can take to get rid of it?

Many thanks

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I haven't been to a doctor yet and no, I don't have any medical conditions. I have a lot of stress lately. Could it be related to that?

I am worried for the cough being there for weeks now.

Coughing is response of your body to a foreign substance like mucus in your lungs and upper airway passages. Dry cough can be due to varied causes like - viral infection/ allergy/ postnasal drip/ asthma/ heart issue, reflux or medicine induced.

This being there for weeks needs to be evaluated for sure.

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like chest x ray/ blood tests/ throat swab should give us a clue to diagnosis.

As of now - Benadryl and Motrin should help you get rid of allergy or inflammation component. Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking and spicy food. Have multiple meals instead of few large, do not lie down immediately after food. Raise the head part of your bed. I would not think of stress as the cause of dry cough. However it may aggravate cough for sure. Yoga, meditation may help you stay away from stress and anxiety. I would avoid use of cough suppressants until we reach at a diagnosis.

Wish you well.