Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Hello, I am a 34 year old male and I am worried. I had a 1

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 34 year old male and I am worried. I had a 1 night stand and cannot remember if a condom was used. I have been really worried about STIs and STDs. I was tested for Chlamydia and am negative, however since this appointment I have had a few symptoms.
Before I tell you- I was made aware of symptoms of HIV and have been really anxious about it..
2 weeks after I began getting hot flushes in my face and neck. I began checking my lymph nodes occasionally and over the space of 2-3 days felt unwell. Eventually my neck flared up and I developed a sore throat. All symptoms have settled (after I convinced myself maybe anxiety related) except I still have slightly swollen lymph nodes and mild sore throat 1 week later.
Additionally in the last couple of days I have had an ache around my spermatic chords. I masturbated last night in case it was 'blue balls' and that has helped but a slight ache remains.
23 days - slight ache in R ball and throat, and slightly swollen neck nodes??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I can understand you are worried about HIV.

excessive anxiety can cause you to think the worst of any symptom you have.

your best bet is to go and get blood testing to check for HIV.

we don't use symptoms to tell if a patient has HIV. symptoms are much too unreliable and don't tell us anything about HIV status.

swollen neck lymph nodes can be caused by mononucleosis or coxsachie virus or cold virus infections.

so your symptom don't point to HIV.

are you willing to get a blood testing for HIV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am booked in, however I have been told it is unreliable until at least 6 weeks.
I realize that anxiety could have caused much of the symptoms, but it lead to flushes, swollen glands and I guess night sweats where I woke up sweating 2 nights in a row. This was at the beginning when I guess I was most anxious.
I guess it would be helpful to know if anxiety and me checking my glands may have lead to these physical manifestations.
I feel much better now, which is now leading me to believe I might be in trouble. If it helps, I checked my temp on fri an it was 36.2 deg c (normal).
Is this typical HIV? Typical anxiety?

Just very scared. Thankyou so much for your help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
that is not true.

you can get reliable HIV DNA PCR rapid testing at 10-20 days post exposure and get accurate results.

the more you check you neck nodes, the more they will swell

your symptoms sound much more anxiety related and not related to HIV.

I understand you are scared.

talk to your doctors about getting your HIV test sooner

I bet your testing will turn out negative and this should help alleviate your anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Doc, I am normally very rationale and in control- it is very hard for me to rationalize with anxiety.
The clinic I went to said to wait 3 months but if I was anxious 6 weeks would get a 99% accurate test. What test do I need to ask for to see if they can do the one you are talking about?
I am very keen to get it done as soon as possible !!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
6 weeks you can have a HIV DNA or RNA PCR amplification test which can tell if you have HIV.

it sounds like you really want the 6 week test.

these test can also be given sooner than 6 weeks. but some clinics recommend the wait.

I bet it will be HIV negative

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello again, just a follow up to thank you for your help and to ask your advice on a continuing symptom.

As I mentioned in my original post I have developed an ache in my testicles. It has been there for 4 weeks now and I am just trying to work out if I need to get more investigation done.

History: Developed 4 weeks ago after 3 weeks of pretty intense anxiety. Anxiety has continued but significantly reduced about a week ago (7 weeks later) after confirming that I had no STIs or STDs. A GP has examined me 2 times and cannot find the source of discomfort but has ruled out epidimitis? I have a normal feeling cyst above my lefty that I have not noticed before that he was not concerned about.

It has got to the point that for the last 2 weeks I have not been able to wear underwear without considerable discomfort. When I don't wear underwear it is almost painless. I have noticed that I have aches and occasionally sharp pains in my groin about an inch inside my hip bones and an inch down. I also have had some stomach discomfort which the Doc says is likely to be anxiety related. I have also had pain between my scrotum and anus which he said is very typical of anxiety.

He does not think it is worth investigating further, however this is very uncomfortable and doesn't seem to be improving. I think it might be muscular as a result of weeks of tension particularly focussing on the groin due to possible STI, but just don't know if I could have something else wrong.....

Thank you so much for your help

Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
it is hard to know if your symptoms are due to your anixety or from real pathology in your scrotum.

you should get an ultrasound of your testicule to see if there is anything wrong.

if the ultrasound is normal, then your symptoms are from your anxiety.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Doc, I might just relax for another week and see if things settle. If I am still in trouble then I will specifically ask for a referral to get an ultrasound.

Thanks again. Been a wild couple of months, time to move forward I think.

you are welcome

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions

thanks for using JustAnswer.com