Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

For the past few days, Ive noticed some on and off sharp pains

For the past few days, I've noticed some on and off sharp pains in my rectum. They first started 3 days ago, shortly after I bent over in an attempt to stretch my back. There wasn't really any pain then, but over the next few hours I had some sharp pains that felt like they went from the bottom of my tailbone to my anus as I was walking around. They went away the next couple of days, but today they are back when I cough and sometimes when I'm just walking around. I've had bronchitis for about 3 weeks now, so I'm not sure if that could be contributing.
Does this sound like it's something that just got pulled? I've been concerned lately about loose stools, some on and off swelling that's potentially hemorrhoids (but not since my stools have been loose for 5+ months), etc. I've asked you some other questions on here and you seem to think it's probably not cancer, but every new symptom that comes up worries me.
Sometimes it feels like it's way up by the tailbone and shoots down. Other times I just feel a little twinge right by the side of the anus. I did notice tonight that I also got a couple twinges of nerve pains in my legs around the same time, although I have no clue if that's related. The first time it happened, I had a bowel movement shortly after, but I didn't feel any irritation with that.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

it could be a pulled muscle.

bronchitis most likely is not affecting your rectum or anus.

have you had constipation recently? small hard stools? constipation could possibly cause your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I've been having looser stools for several months. No constipation. Typically one soft bowel movement each day.

It's possible that I've been clenching a lot due to my recent worries, but I'm not sure if that could cause or contribute to that.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
increased clenching and anxiety could possibly cause your symptoms.

are you feeling more anxious recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just started taking Cipralex about a week ago for anxiety.

If it's not anxiety related, is it likely to be hemorrhoids or something else? I assume colon cancer pain would likely not present like that?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
colon cancer would not present like this.

this sounds like your anixety get the better of you

it can take 4-8 weeks for cipralex to start working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's tough to decide to stay on Cipralex with the side effects. I've been getting dizziness, stomach pains, fatigue, and even what seemed to be a fever -- I didn't take my temperature but my husband thought I felt warm too. Also getting episodes of a pounding heart different than what I typically get with anxiety. So I would like to stay on them, but I'm getting these symptoms with only a 2.5 mg dose. I know the symptoms should subside within a couple weeks, but it will be many weeks before I get up to a full dose, and it's making it difficult to work in the meantime.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
sounds like your anxiety is causing all sorts of symptoms.

medications like xanax and ativan can be used to treat short term anxiety until you get up to full dose of cipralex.

your doctor can give you a prescription for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think a lot of it is medication side effects, because I wasn't feeling that physically bad before I went on it. Some dizziness, but none of the other symptoms. I do have some Ativan, but I wasn't sure if it was ok to take it with the Cipralex. Thanks for clarifying.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, ativan is ok to take with your cipralex.

stick with the cipralex and use the ativan when needed.

and increase the dose of cipralex slowly and eventually your anxiety symptoms should be better.

it sounds like you have used cipralex before and are familiar with how it works for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've used Ativan before but not Cipralex. I've just done a lot of reading on other people's experiences with side effects and how long they last, and the pharmacist said the same thing (about two weeks each time you increase the dose).

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.