Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

For the past few days, Ive noticed some on and off sharp pains

For the past few days, I've noticed some on and off sharp pains in my rectum. They first started 3 days ago, shortly after I bent over in an attempt to stretch my back. There wasn't really any pain then, but over the next few hours I had some sharp pains that felt like they went from the bottom of my tailbone to my anus as I was walking around. They went away the next couple of days, but today they are back when I cough and sometimes when I'm just walking around. I've had bronchitis for about 3 weeks now, so I'm not sure if that could be contributing.

Does this sound like it's something that just got pulled? I've been concerned lately about loose stools, some on and off swelling that's potentially hemorrhoids (but not since my stools have been loose for 5+ months), etc. I've asked some other questions on here and nobody seems to think it's likely to be cancer, but every new symptom that comes up worries me.
In fact it can be hemorrhoids which can act like this.
Diverticulosis..inflamed pockets in colon.
Or muscular.

An exam is needed if this continues.

For now, get the stool really soft, sit in hot baths, eat as vegetarian as possible.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The stools are already loose and have been for a few months, so I know constipation is not the problem.

Is how the pain presents any indication of the cause? Sometimes it feels like it's way up by the tailbone and shoots down. Other times I just feel a little twinge right by the side of the anus. I did notice tonight that I also got a couple twinges of nerve pains in my legs around the same time, although I have no clue if that's related. The first time it happened, I had a bowel movement shortly after, but I didn't feel any irritation with that.

Musculoskeletal problems
Lower spine problem.
Only an exam is going to narrow this down.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.