Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I have type 2 diabetes. I am not on medication for it though

I have type 2 diabetes. I am not on medication for it though my doctors wants me on metaform. I have lost weight and conditioned my muscels through gym work over a period of three years. My Ac1 is 6.9 and has not changed, however my morning fasting readings have risen. For example, my morning readings were in the one hundred teens and low one hundred twenties, however in recent months fasting glucose has risen to 140-150 though my diet regimen and gym work remains constant. I explain this change as a result of conditioning my body which now burns less glucose because efficient muscels need less energy to function. The mind blower was last night when my reading before bedtime was 114, and I went directly to sleep without ingesting any food. Upon rising five hours later my fasting reading was 150. How can this be?
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
At early morning glucose levels are usually raised this is because of release of counter regulatory hormones at night to maintain blood glucose levels because of hypoglycemia as you have had blood glucose of 114 at bed time and while sleeping it will fall down further that released hormones to maintain blood glucose to elevate sugar level.
As far as Metformin is concerned it is wonderful drug and according to American Diabetes association it is euglycemic drug that it maintains blood glucose levels and also help to reduce weight.
If your readings are now at higher side you should start Metformin as early as possible.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is a fasting glucose of 150 out of the normal range? Is a 6.9 reading on my blood panel alarming? Is my theory about a conditioned body using less glucose correct?

Normal fasting blood glucose level should be in double figures that up to 99 mg /dl.
150 mg/dl is high fasting blood glucose level and you should be on Metformin according to guidelines.
An A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes.
6.9 is not as such alarming but it should be treated .
Your theory is not correct you should follow the guidelines to treat and maintain blood glucose levels.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.