Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Im a 21 year old female with male pattern hair growth on my

I'm a 21 year old female with male pattern hair growth on my face, chest, and belly.

It started off as just some slightly coarser hairs when I was about 16, but as time goes on it has gotten substantially worse.

I wanted to know if there could be a medical reason for why this is happening, or if I should start investing thousands into electrolysis.

I would like to go in and talk to a doctor, but I am extremely self conscious (as you might imagine), and it really freaks me out to even think about it, but if there is a way to fix this I will pluck up the courage to go.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Customer:

Sure I would love to talk to you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is something for which you need to see your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

medical reasons can cause this excess growth of hair

Dr. P. Jyoti :

The primary cause of excessive hair in females is due to an overproduction of the male hormones.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

This may be produced both from the adrenal glands or ovaries.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You need to approach your family physician and get yourself tested for this hormone.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

It is a simple test and will determine the status.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

High testosterone can be treated with various medicines like spironolactone, steroids and Contraceptive pills.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

This works well and will reduce the hair conveniently.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You can also use Laser hair removal for the unwanted hair.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so the next step for you now is to approach your doctor and discuss about this growth of hair

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also ask for testosterone level testing

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss these medicines too

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

I do not have a family doctor at the moment, can I go in to a walk in clinic or the clinic at the hospital? Or do you think it would be more beneficial to seek out a doctor taking more patients?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

best to go to a clinic at the hospital

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you can also go to a walk in clinic

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss these aspects, this will lead you to an informed discussion

Customer:

Alright, thank you very much for your time.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.