Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

I made a stupid mistake: I cooked a pan of noodles, boiling

I made a stupid mistake: I cooked a pan of noodles, boiling them for a while, and also ate some of the noodles and soup, before realizing that three large metallic packets of flavoring had been at the bottom of the pan and were boiling all along.

These packets were metallic and likely made of metal and/or plastic. So does this mean I will get some sort of metal or plastic poisoning, assuming the metals or plastics leached into the surrounding, boiling, water and noodles that I drank/ate?

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have any symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I do not - there was a bit of a metallic taste, but I don't know if that was from the soup.

When did this happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 3 hours ago.

I am happy that there are no symptoms. Metallic taste does not worry me as it is bound to come. It is not harmful though. Boiling the metal or plastic for few minutes {I assume it was not more than 30 minutes} does not cause release of metal in the food. The melting point of the metal is very high and so the possibility of it mixing with the food in large amount is nil.

No symptoms till now indicate that the food is already in the small intestine without any increase in the blood metal levels.

Few symptoms need to be looked for - Severe pain in abdomen/ vomiting or diarrhea. These are less likely to happen with you however I just want you to be aware. These would prompt immediate medical help.

As of now - Have balanced diet. Have adequate fluid so that the food passes off easily and fast from the gut.

Please do not worry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is possible that it was more than 30 minutes.

Even if it so it is impossible to reach melting pint of any metal while preparing noodles. No symptoms for 3 hours also relieves me.