Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Dear Doctor , i had a spontaneous subdural hematoma 18 months

Dear Doctor , i had a spontaneous subdural hematoma 18 months ago (Mar 2012) which was successfully evacuated via burr hole surgery. The cause was never ascertained but I have been normal since , with around 5 follow up MRI's in this period to make sure all was OK. Recently i began a fitness program involving treadmill running for 45 mins interspersed with with moderate low weights (6-10 pounds) lifting. I have been feeling a dull headache for 4-5 days now , it's a kind of light 'pinching' on the head , also have been extremely fatigued and drowsy. Any alarms do you think ? Thank you very much. Regards- Bhaskar PS : i am on blood pressure (Cozaar 50 mg) and Anti Anxiety (Cipralex 20 mg / Lexotanil 1.5 mg) medication

Dr.Saleem :

Hi

Dr.Saleem :

welcome to JA!

Dr.Saleem :

Thanks for the question.

Dr.Saleem :

plz enter the chat.

Dr.Saleem :

The dull headache with pinching feeling is a non specific symptom and can be due to many other reasons like

Customer:

Thanks , listening..

Dr.Saleem :

high blood pressures, tension headache or cluster headache

Dr.Saleem :

Since your MRI is clear and there are no aneurysms or risk factors for hemorrhage recurrence there is less likely to be due to hemaorrhage

Customer:

ok...

Dr.Saleem :

How is your blood pressure control?

Customer:

it's normal , within 140 / 90 max , average 130 / 80 most times , tho i havent checked since the headaches began

Dr.Saleem :

You must look for other causes of headache and if possible to consult your physician to take a careful history and do an examination to ascertain the cause of your headache, keep checking your blood pressures

Dr.Saleem :

Most of such headaches usually respond to painkillers like NSAIDs

Customer:

ok Dr Saleem , will do - meanwhile , any risks of setting off another SH with my exercises esp weights ?

Dr.Saleem :

The only thing you need to take care of is your blood pressure as it rises during exercise

Dr.Saleem :

if this is normal then there is no issue with exercise

Dr.Saleem :

or weights

Customer:

right. how should i approach this - do i take a BP monitor along to the gym ? or rest every 5-10 minutes or so... ?

Dr.Saleem :

You can take blood pressure reading before, at the peak of exercise and after exercise

Customer:

ok and then share it with my doctor ?

Dr.Saleem :

Yes

Customer:

right. anything else doctor ?

Dr.Saleem :

Since it is 18 months since your hemorrhage and you do not have risks like aneurysms or bleeding disorders, you have very less chances of having this repeated if you keep your blood pressure controlled and thats all

Dr.Saleem :

best wishes

Customer:

Thank you very much Dr Saleem , have a nice day. Regards

Dr.Saleem :

You are welcome... You can visit back whenever you need more information or help

Customer:

Thanks

Dr.Saleem :

If you are satisfied with the response kindly rate good or excellent

Dr.Saleem :

Are you there?

Customer:

Hi yes i am here now

Dr.Saleem :

Just wanted to say that keep an eye on symptoms like severe headache, weakness of any part of body or persistent nausea and vomiting, in case of any of these symptoms visit emergency services

Customer:

OK sure , thanks will do....