Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi Doctor: For approximately one month or so I having been

Hi Doctor:

For approximately one month or so I having been having diarrhea which is now alternating with constipation and have lost some weight about four pounds. I am thin to begin with. I had blood work which was normal showed slightly high lipase levels everything else normal. Hgb at 15. I feel good. Am active, have a stressful job and family stressors as well. The MD did not want to take any more tests and said it is ibs. He is a GI MD. Why am I losing weight and when I am constipated I may gain a pound or so. I dont eat right cause I work late hours and cannot eat on the job so I eat before I leave for work and have a light snack when I come home from work. Please advise thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Q. Did you have a colonoscopy done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About four years ago MD said I can wait another year. Can you lose weight from IBS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About four years ago MD said I can wait another year. Can you lose weight from IBS I had a series of stool cultures done for infection all negative

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the details.

4 pounds of weight over a month is not exactly a significant weight loss that would happen in case of something serious like colon cancer, and this kind of weight loss can occur just with diarrhea and change in diet. A significant weight loss is 10 kgs over a month without a change in diet.
However, I think a colonoscopy is a must do here since you have started to experience these symptoms currently and have not had a colonoscopy for over a year.
Without having done a colonoscopy it is not wise to label altered bowel movements as IBS - which is an inorganic condition and a diagnosis of exclusion.
A diagnosis of exlcusion means that it can not be diagnosed with any known tests and a set of symptoms can only be labelled as being IBS when all other diagnosis pertaining to that set of symptoms have been ruled out.
IBS - diarrhea variant can cause you to loose 4 pounds of weight as well but I still think a colonoscopy should be performed. And a stool routine examination and microsocpy should also be done to see presence of any occult blood or ova and cysts of parasites.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the assist if satisfied.
If you have more queries, reply back without rating.
Best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor: I did have a series of stool cultures which were all negative plus my hgb is 15 no signs of anemia.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the details.

Yes, I agree with that and I am not saying that you have a frank blood loss that would lower your Haemoglobin nor am I saying that that you have an infection of the gut causing your diarrhea. Stool cultures can only see the presence of bacteria, not parasites nor fungi.
Your doctor might be right about the IBS and yes, I agree that IBS diarrhea variant can cause 4 pounds of weight loss over a month coupled with stress and loss of appetite. You do not have significant weight loss that would otherwise occur in colon cancer either.
I am just stressing on the protocols which dictate that a colonoscopy is standard protocol before you label something as IBS and that in my opinion should have been performed here.
Hope this helps.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.