DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Approximately 5 weeks ago, I was Dx w salmonella. I took a

Approximately 5 weeks ago, I was Dx w salmonella. I took a 9 D course of Cipro. I have improved but have persistent malaise & significant food intolerance.
Even very small amounts of the most bland foods cause stomach cramps, large palpable lumps in my abdomen as peristalsis occurs, & loud rumbling & gurgling. I have no appetite & varying degrees of constant nausea but force myself to eat for strength.
Is this normal or should I see a gastroenterologist? My pcp has said "it will take time". I had to go in to the ED 3 times for IV fluids
Hello
What you should do at this point is have your stool culture repeated.

Salmonella typically gets better.
Cipro does not necessarily speed this up.

You want to make sure you are not carrying it however, and stool should also be tested for c difficile at this point due to the use of antibiotics.

You are due a colonoscopy at age 50 for screening, and this would be a good idea to arrange now with a GI doctor.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been told to "give it time", "some people take longer than others to kick this because the pathogens can sometimes be especially virulent" SO is this true & should I do that along w following up as per your suggestion, OR is it possible for there to be a sequelae post salmonella with leaky gut syndrome or some such issue?
As long as you can hold fluids and eat, and as long as it is getting better, OK, if you do not, then my suggestions.
NO, it should not cause leaky gut.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.