Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I am taking Atenolol 50mg and Perindopril 8mg for high blood

I am taking Atenolol 50mg and Perindopril 8mg for high blood pressure. My last potassium reading was 5.2 which is slightly high. I am also taking an Omega 1000mg cap and a Cod Liver Oil 1000mg cap daily plus I eat a banana every morning. My question is are these supplements causing my potassium levels to rise. For your information I am a 70 year old female

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Omega and cod liver oil will not affect the potassium level but bananas contain a high level of potassium - this can increase the potassium level in your blood.

Please stop eating bananas and retake the test after 1 week for an accurate result.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I actually need to be taking both supplements at the same time, Is there anything else I can do to lower the potassium level.

My GP did not seem to concerned as he said that as you get older your kidneys do not work as well.

What is a dangerously high level of potassium

Joyce,

You do not need to be taking both Omega and Cod liver oil Cod liver oil contains omega 3 fatty acids and 1000mg daily is a good dose for you to take.

The normal range is 3.7 to 5.2 mEq/L. This may vary slightly in different labs but not by much. At 5.2, yours is just high normal or just a bit higher ( depending on your lab range). Your GP is right, this is not a cause for worry.

Having a blood potassium level higher than 7.0 mmol/L can be dangerous and needs immediate treatment.