Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I became allergic to avocados many years ago when I was pregnant

I became allergic to avocados many years ago when I was pregnant with my first child.
When I was no longer pregnant I was unable to eat them without serious results (breathing difficulties, hives, etc.). Is there such a thing as desensitizing someone like me, so I won't be in danger if I eat it by mistake?

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Yes you can get desensitized against avocado by allergy shots.

Mysticdoc :

Small amount of avocado allergen is used to make your body get used to it.

Mysticdoc :

Avocado allergy also can be associated with latex allergy commonly.

Mysticdoc :

Other fruits like kiwi, banana, mango also can cause allergic reaction in people with avocado allergies.

Mysticdoc :

This can be tested by the allergy testing.

Mysticdoc :

You should consider seeing an allergy specialist.

Mysticdoc :

Antihistamines like benadryl, and steroids like prednisone can be used for accidental allergic reaction.

Mysticdoc :

Epipen should be carried with yourself to prevent any severe reaction meanwhile.

Customer:

I can eat all of the above and wore latex gloves working in a hospital. Epinephrine is something I carry. However, I think that since this allergy was apparently brought on by eating avocados in great amounts for most of my pregnancy (I was nauseous but able to eat avocados), and we had a tree full of them, that the severity kept me from having a typical allergy and could not be cured with shots. I'm glad to hear that may be an option. Thanks much!