Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I take methadone for chronic rad or complex regional pain syndrome,he

I take methadone for chronic rad or complex regional pain syndrome,he has added dilaudid,doesn't t Methadone block the receptor sites of this drug?

neuromd2012 :

Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

neuromd2012 :

Hello

neuromd2012 :

you are in a sense correct in your assessment

neuromd2012 :

methadone, like all opiates, binds to opiate receptors, there are 3 types, kappa, lambda, and delta

neuromd2012 :

and it is a "neutral" agonist, meaning it binds receptors, and has good pain control, but there is not as much euphoric sense.

neuromd2012 :

Dilaudid is more of an opiate agonist, it exerts more pain control (and euphoric sense) than methadone. so from a relative comparison, methadone is blocking sites from the effect of dilaudid.

neuromd2012 :

there is another neutral opiate agonist, buprenophine, that you can consider when using methadone for better pain control.

neuromd2012 :

please get back to me if you have questions I can answer. Dr Frank T

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you ,I am an I C U, Emg nurse,now on Ltd.I have broken my pelvis with a horse flipping on top of me, and when my Dr assures me that the Dilaudid is helping and I deny it,he assures me that I am wrong,so I am in agony.Thank you for your thoughts. Linda Seagris
tell him you are still having breakthrough pain, and you need something stronger, like oxycodone in low doses.