Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

35 year old healthy female. Had severe gastro bacteria infection

35 year old healthy female. Had severe gastro bacteria infection in may. Had diarreah for about 16you hours. Towards middle of time there was blood in stools. 1 incident of vomiting. Dr prescribed cipro. Since then i have had a dull pain in my lower left abdomen near my pelvic region. Almost 1there week ago i started feeling pain in my lower left back. I have had kidney stones before and this doesnt feel the same. I have had normal bowel movements since. No fever etc.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : This pain of the left lower quadrant radiating to back strikes me as being potentially consistent with an ovarian cyst as one possible cause....
Anthony Bray, MD : I would say that several possibilities do exist...
Anthony Bray, MD : The left lower left abdominal pain may not be from same cause as the back discomfort.... It sounds that these are in different time frames, right?
Anthony Bray, MD : I would say that diverticulosis of the descending colon or sigmoid colon could fit with your history....
Anthony Bray, MD : You are on the young side for this problem but it would be possible....
Anthony Bray, MD : I would advise follow up with primary care doctor( not chiropractor) to check this further...
Anthony Bray, MD : A pelvic ultrasound could be helpful test as it would pick up potential ovarian cysts...
Customer: Yes. Since the severe pain in may, its a daily dull pain and just recently my back pain started. I was eeading about the tons of possibilities as well and did think an ovarian cyst could be possible. I miscarried about 2 years ago and until then my periods were every 28 days. Since then they are closer to 21. Is this something that may go away on its own or if that was hoing to happen it would have by now?
Anthony Bray, MD : A colonoscopy might be considered especially if test of stool for occult blood were positive...
Anthony Bray, MD : This could pick up potential problems if colitis or diverticulitis/ diverticulosis...
Anthony Bray, MD : It is possible that it might resolve on its own BUT since this has bothered you since May I think it is time to get it checked further !!!
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this is helpful for you ! Let me know if you have further questions!
Customer: My dr did mention a colonoscopy. I would like to try something less invasive first. Im supposed to travel out of the country on Sep 1st. Do i need to get this checked out beforehand?
Anthony Bray, MD : I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer: Thank you!
Anthony Bray, MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD : The urgency would be proportional to your degree of discomfort I would say...9/1 is not that far away....