Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I went to the emergency room on July 23 and was diagnosed with

I went to the emergency room on July 23 and was diagnosed with Bronchospasms and Pneumonia. I was on antibiotics and Prednisone. I use an inhaler. The cough I had has lessened somewhat, but I still have coughing fits, and when they start it's very hard to stop and (here's my main question) my neck and right shoulder are in severe pain. (Coughing exacerabates the pain).

I have found that when I am coughing, I can hold back the pain a bit by pressing hard about midway from the neck to shoulder. But it is so stiff and sore all the time that it feels as if it is going to become so stiff that I will "lock up" and be unable to move at all. I can't get in to see my PCP for two weeks. I wonder if the cough/neck-shoulder pain is worth a trip to Urgent Care or if this is normal when coughing a lot.
Hello from ja

I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified doctor, and I will help you with this and any follow up questions.

Yes it is worth going to urgent care

First, is the pneumonia really getting better...needs to be checked.
Second, you might need a short taper of steroid.

Third, you might be aggravating a disc problem in the neck...which would need the correct manual therapies to fix.

I suggest the visit.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.