Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My husband has just had a colonscopy and everything was fine.

My husband has just had a colonscopy and everything was fine. However, he has a bowel movement about 4 times a morning, the first time he usually goes regular, after that his movement is very thin and flat. He is worried about that because he heard if your movement is thin and flat it is a sign of cancer.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

just after a colonoscopy, his bowels are most likely taking time to get back to normal. so it can be normal to have thin and flat and loose stools since he just cleared out his colon for the colonoscopy. and the colonosocpy would have seen any signs of colon cancer. so colon cancer would not be causing his stool changes.

sometimes if you get a temporary viral infection of the bowels or some mild food poisoning, you can have thin or flat or loose stools for a few days.

if this happens, soemtimes it helps to eat more fiber in your diet or to eat more constipating foods like rice, cheese, potatoes which can help slow down the bowels and help cause more formed stools.

also sometimes adding more yogurt into his diet and probiotics daily or multiple times a day can help put good bacteria into his bowels and this will help his regularity as well.

does he eat yogurt daily?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No this has been going on for two years almost, a regular bowel movement and then a flatter ribbon type stool, not loose or diarrhea, just a change in shape of the stool itself. Is this cause for worry. It was not as a result of the colonscopy, it is just a somewhat normal pattern. Is it something to worry about or have checked further?

no, I don't think this something to worry about if it has been like this for 2 years.

if he has a regular bowel movement first and then some softer stool that can be completely normal.

again, increasing the fiber in his diet or yogurt in his diet can help.

he should still see his doctor early and get his stools checked for blood yearly with a stool occult blood test

but his symptoms are not a sign of colon cancer if this pattern has been going on for a long time and he has a normal bowel movement initially each time.