Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Hi, this question is for a gastroenterologist. I have a somewhat

Hi, this question is for a gastroenterologist. I have a somewhat complicated question to ask. From your experience, what do you think the likelihood of a person's gastroenterologist is of giving permission for their patient to get a full tummy tuck given the following circumstances: Their patient has Crohn's Disease. Their patient had surgery for Crohn's Disease in the year 2006. The patient's Crohn's returned in the year 2010. The patient has had active Crohn's (inflammation) on and off since then. Also, this patient has scarred Crohn's and was told that they may eventually need another surgery due to the scarring. Well, this patient was not honest with their doctor about taking their medicine since they had surgery (which I know was really stupid). So, now this patient is going to start taking Imuran (the patient is actually going to take their medicine this time). Well, this patient has wanted a full tummy tuck for 10 years now but due to certain circumstances such as wanting to wait until her children were older, problems with her health, etc. she just never got around to pursuing getting a full tummy tuck. Well, she is going to start taking Imuran soon and most likely will be getting her yearly small bowel follow through sometime in the spring. She was thinking depending on how she feels and on what the results of the small bowel follow through are in the spring and depending on the results of any routine bloodwork or other tests, that she would like to ask her gastroenterologist for permission to get a full tummy tuck. So, what do you realistically think the chances are of getting permission to get a tummy tuck? Also, if the gastroenterologist granted permission would they typically allow their patient to stop taking Imuran so that it is completely out of their system that way it doesn't in any way affect their healing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
There is no contraindication due to crohn's

Are you worried about the imuran?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes, I'm extremely worried about the Imuran! Ideally I would rather not start taking Imuran when I was planning on trying to get a full tummy tuck in the near future. However, a recent CT scan showed inflammation. My doctor really wants me to take Imuran or Humira. I think that Imuran might be the best medicine to try for now in order to make the inflammation go away and also give me a better chance of getting a tummy tuck soon. Ideally I would like to stop the Imuran prior to and after the surgery so that it is has no effect on my healing. I'm afraid that even if my gastroenterologist gives me permission to get the surgery that he'll insist that I keep taking Imuran or that I stop it but not long enough so that it has no effect at all on my healing. I have read that Imuran takes a long time to get out of your system (not sure how long though). Oh, and would you happen to know if I go for a consultation with a plastic surgeon does the plastic surgeon contact my gastroenterologist to get permission for me to get the surgery or am I supposed to ask my gastroenterologist for permission. I just don't see my gastroenterologist being sympathetic about how I hate the way my stomach looks.
You get the two doctors to communicate.

Immuran is not an absolute contraindication either.
And this can be timed favorably.

Start the immuran now, do the tummy tuck later, when you are stable.

Talk to both of your doctors.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more question, do you happen to know how long it takes for Imuran to get out of your system? Is it months since it takes months for it to build up in your system?
It only takes about 2 days to metabolize
It will be out over your system in several days.

Please don't forget a positive rating.
Come back anytime.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Thank you for answering my questions.
You are welcome anytime
Any qeustions