Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Can i take flexeril if im currently taking paxil?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Why do you want to take it with paxil?

And for how long have you been taking paxil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ive been taking paxil for about seven years now. The flexeril is supposed to help with back pain. Ive read things about not mixing the two, however, and want to make extra sure.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Lee.

Ideally both these drugs should not be taken together as there exist a major contra-indication to their combined use.

This can lead to serotonin syndrome and here you can read more about it;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/serotonin-syndrome/DS00860/DSECTION=causes

The combination may also make you feel more drowsy and you might not be able to drive, handle machinery or make judgment.

Please note that Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is a muscle relaxant; so this will help only if the pain you have is due to muscle spasms. For all other kinds of pain, tylenol/motrin/advil will work better and appropriately.

If at all your doctor decides to give you this drug with paxil, it need to be closely monitored and supervised (as per standard guidelines).

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the response. Can serotonin syndrome lead to fatality or any other serious side effects?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is a serious problem and can lead to death if not controlled adequately in time.

So its always better to avoid this potentially lethal complication.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities