Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

My urine changes from normal to amber at different times of

My urine changes from normal to amber at different times of the day, is this normal? i do not feel unwell but i do live in a hot country, and to be frank i have not been hydrating properly for some time

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

There is no burning, pain or blood in the urine right?

No fever?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. I have no pain, fever or any blood in urine

Thank you very much for the useful information David.

Well this change in color of urine is absolutely normal.

The color of urine is due to presence of bile pigments, and varies greatly depending upon the state of hydration of the body.

In winter, every one passes a diluted white urine (since there is no sweating or reduced loss of water from breathing in winter).

In summer, excessive sweating coupled with increased insensitive loss of water from body (during breathing) leads to reduced water content of urine (thus making it concentrated) and hence a dark color.

Similarly the urine which we pass early in morning after a long nap is always a little dark compared to the one which we pass in afternoon (when hydration status is better).

So in the absence of any symptoms, this is completely normal.

Stay relaxed.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.