Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hello Doctor. Im worrying about rabies. Actually, its

Hello Doctor.

I'm worrying about rabies. Actually, it's afraid from rabies. My question is:

(how long) Can rabies virus survive in the sea water? Any chance for transmitting salvia to humans in the sea?

If some animals swimming in our beach, sea can be infected?

I know, it's look like a paranoia but We are afraid to swim now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

You are just asking because of your concerns regarding contamination of sea water from animals right? There has been no bite or exposure to rabies?

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

nope no bite

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

just worrying about swimming in sea

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you. Well first i would like to share some basic facts regarding the rabies virus.

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

it's mt concern: contact to touch saliva or rabies virus in the sea..

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

my*

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

contact or*

Dr. Sohaib :

The rabies virus is very fragile and can survive only for few minutes at temperature above 122 F, few hours at room temperature, and the virus is not longer infectious or hazardous when the secretions containing it (like saliva) become dry. Also, please note that the virus is easily killed by house hold detergents, disinfectants and bleach (1/2 cup per gallon of water).

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

yep i know this.. i found these details but i cannot found anything about sea or sea water

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

i didnt find*

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

doc? are you there?

JACUSTOMER-yaxa6g33- :

??

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

I am here and switched to Q & A mode as there is a problem with the chat.

Just hold on as i write down and post my answer to you in few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor, you did NOT answer my question...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doctor.

it's my concern: ayn chance contact or touch saliva or rabies virus in the sea (While swiming)..

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for inconvenience but some times there is a problem in the chat software so we need to shift to Question Answer mode.

For any organism (virus/bacteria/parasite) to infect a person, its certain amount has to enter the human body (this amount is called bolus); and if the amount is not sufficient, either they are not able to pass the immunity barriers like skin or the immune system clears off the infectious organisms spontaneously.

For example, if two people are injected with HIV infected blood; one get only a drop while the other person gets a full syringe filled with blood, the chances of getting the infection are high for the later.

Similarly, if there is an animal shedding rabies virus in the sea, it will be so much diluted that it wont be able to produce infection to any one.

Also, the rabies virus can not with stand the saline water for long and gets killed easily.

Finally there is no such reported case of rabies until now that has been infected the way you have described (this is a proof that rabies can not be transmitted this way).

Stay relaxed.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for information. I'm satifsfied but i have worries still.

Last question: How long can rabies virus survive in sea water?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Not more than an hour.

Less if the temperature is high.

More less if there is bright sun shine.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities