Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

I am a 50-year-old male. I consider myself healthy. Lately,

I am a 50-year-old male. I consider myself healthy. Lately, when I cut myself working on my home improvement projects, the bleeding continues for a longer period of time. Is this because my blood is "thin"? and what could be the health side effect of "thin" blood?
Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

Hello. Your "bleeding time" can be measured, to see if it is prolonged. There are a few factors that can enter into the time, medications you take (like aspirin) or diseases you have (liver disease, hematological diseases) or inherited/genetic (hemophilia).

Do you have any medical problems, meds you take? family history of bleeding disorder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I consider myself healthy. I exercise regularly and eat healthy foods. My last physical exam 6 months ago was normal. I am not aware of any genetic bleeding disorder in my family. I take daily supplement Centrum plus.

Hi. Well if you are bleeding for what seems too long a time (that is hard to tell sometimes, it is a function of the size of the cut and the vessels involved, but I will assume you are correct, as it is your body), you need to see a doc and he will do a very simple routine exam, and order some routing blood tests (CBC, platelet count, PT/PTT, and a liver profile) If any of that is abnormal, then he can give you a reason, and proceed from there. You can have very subtle abnormalities, like a bleeding factor deficiency, and be asymptomatic, except for this bleeding issue. So I would encourage you to get checked if you suspect a problem. Dr Frank T