Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD

Suddenly started having pain under left breast shooting thru

Suddenly started having pain under left breast shooting thru to back. Rapid heartrate, now feels like staabing in left shoulder blade and numbess in left nostril with stiff neck
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

While these symptoms can be due to a a acute gastritis, these can also be the symptoms of a heart problem. heart issues can occur even in people who have no prior history and are apparently in good health.

Please go to the ER for a checkup as early as possible.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I took a vicoden and pain has eased

Loretta,

If the pain has eased with Vicodin, then it is not related to the heart. Cardiac pain will nto decrease with pain killers.

Since it has decreased with Vicodin, this is more likely to be due to muscle spasm. Muscle spasm will not cause numbness in left nostril - possibly acute anxiety related to the pain caused these additional symptoms.

You do not need to go to the ER now. But please consult a doctor in the morning for an EKG.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I still have the pain but is not taking my breath. I have severe panic disorder. I have a hiatial hernia and C-spine is too straight. Was hospitalized a little over month ago for chest pain and rapid heartrate. Had to wear heart monitor for 5 weeks after all tests in hospital showed no problems but wante to check for arrythmias to be safe. After 5 weeks of monitor it showed I was throwing PAC's and PVC's. Cardilogist said I didn't event need follow up appointment but set one up anyway because I was still be bothered by on and off rapid heartbeat. What are your thoughts on this please?

Loretta,

Thank you for the additional information.

Your cardiologist is right - PACs and PVCs can occur normally in many people, especially in people prone to anxiety related disorders. They do not need to be treated. But they do need to be checkup up if the symptoms continue for some time.

PACs and PVCs however do not cause chest pain. But the anxiety related to them can cause muscular spasm which causes the pain. This is probably what happened for you.

Please do see a cardiologist tomorrow for an EKG to evaluate the irregular heartbeat if you continue to get them tomorrow. If necessary, you may be prescribed anti-anxiety medicines.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay, could I go to ENT service down from my home for EKG? Also one year ago was seen by UNC Cardiology for full cardiac workup, stress echo, nuclear echo. Everything showed healthy heart. I am also experiencing menopausal symptoms and was told this could lead to sudden racing heart as well as my panic and anxiety to be increased. I take xanax for those. The pain increases upon moving my arms. The onset of this pain came as soon as I ate. I am also having my period. I guess basically and I promise to stop asking questions after this, but I guess I am asking you "Should I believe the doctors and especially UNC that nothing is wrong with my heart? Have also been told I have fibromyalgia and almost arthritis type situation in my sternum

Does the ENT service have a EKG machine? If so, you can go down for an EKG. But I do not think you need to do so.

If UNC Cardiology gave you a full cardiac workup and declared your heart healthy, then it is healthy. You can believe them completely.

Also, if you wore heart monitor for 5 weeks about 1-2 months ago and it only picked up some PVCs and PACs, you have no cause for worry.

You can believe the doctors - there is nothing wrong with your heart.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You are kind, and very Patient. God Bless You Sir

You are welcome, Loretta. I hope you feel better soon.

Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MBBS.MD