911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I HAVE HAD A SUDDEN AMOUNT OF PHLEGM BUILDUP FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS.

I HAVE HAD A SUDDEN AMOUNT OF PHLEGM BUILDUP FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS. I HAVE NO INSURANCE. I AM IN GOOD HEALTH AND WILL BE 60 THIS YEAR. I HAD A PERIOD FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS WHERE I SEEMED TO CHOKE VERY BADLY ON FOOD . ABOUT ONCE EVERY MONTH IT SEEMED. BUT EVEN MY EARS SEEMED CLOGGED IN THE MORNINGS.I LIVE IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA AND AM OUTSIDE DOING YARD WORK A LOT BUT THAT ISN'T ANYTHING NEW. ANY IDEAS ?

911DOC :

Have you tried any medications for this?

911DOC :

Have you ever mentioned this to a physician?

911DOC :

Do you have any abdominal pain or discomfort, even if only from time to time?

911DOC :

while you are typing some thoughts

911DOC :

first of all, you could have an allergy problem, trying a daily dose of claritin might be useful

911DOC :

secondly, these type of symptoms can come from reflux disease of the stomach and trying something like zantac or prilosec over the counter would be reasonable

911DOC :

thirdly, you may have chronic sinus disease producing post nasal drip and phlegm

911DOC :

if you are a smoker then many other things come into play such as EMPHYSEMA

911DOC :

I think if the simple suggestions above do not produce a resolution that, unfortunately, you will have to see a physician as specific testing will then need to be done.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

NO I DO NOT HAVE A DOCTOR TO CALL MY OWN AND I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY MEDICATIONS FOR THIS. YES, JUST A LITTLE PAIN . IT DOESN'T LAST BUT IT GETS MY ATTENTION . I USUALLY BLAME THAT ON CONSTIPATION. WHAT WOULD CAUSE ME TO GET A POST NASAL DRIP AND ALSO THE PHLEGM IS USUALLY WHITE, AND IT IS ON AND OFF ALL DAY BUT IN THE MORNINGS AS SOON AS I STAND UP ITS RIGHT THERE. THANK YOU. THE ALLERGY ONE IS WHAT I'M GOING WITH- AND I WILL TRY ALLERGY OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS.