Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I just caught a cold. No fever. .but it seems to have gone

I just caught a cold. No fever. .but it seems to have gone into my chest. My right side . I feel irritation all day and its keep me up tonite. I keep coughing nothing comes up but it keeps feeling irritated and congested. I never smoke . I did for 5 years , quit. Never had a problem. This was about 6 years ago. Recently a new friend on mine smokes and I have been smoking again . About 3-6 cigarettes a day. Thinking ill never do tis very long. It's been only 3 months. Now I get a cold and its never been like this before. No sore throat, no headache just this real congested irritated feeling and I cough all dy, night. It's been going on 2 days now . Do you think it might even be pneumonia? Which I never have had. I was born with childhood asthma. No attack in 15 years . Some bronchitis but that hs mp been decreasing. I wnt smoke a cigarette again now .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

I can appreciate your concern.

This definitely needs a medical checkup.

Yes, this could be pneumonia or lung infection. There is a possibility that this is a lung infection but fever is usually associated with pneumonia, though not always. Other possibilities are bronchitis, or inflammation of the bronchus, and pleuritis, or inflammation of the pleura, the lining of the lung.

All these are possible complications from the viral infection you have had.

Since the cough is so severe you are distinctly uncomfortable, it is best to show your doctor for this. Show as soon as possible.

Meanwhile some home treatment steps that you can take are:
Fluids: drink plenty of water.
Humidifier: use a humidifier in your room since drying of the sinuses can cause this.
Warm compresses: warm compresses on the sinus areas will give relief.
Vit. C supplement: 1000 mg Vit. C supplements daily (available OTC).
N- Acetyl Cysteine: this is a supplement available at natural food stores which helps drainage.
Menthol steam inhalation.

These steps will give you relief, but do show your doctor also.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I take a sleeping pill tonite to sleep? I have lunesta. Until I get to doctor tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Besides sleeping pill can I take alieve. Will that help me sleep tonite?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I think he's not online
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.

Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

The other expert is offline and i will be glad to assist you here.

Yes you can take Lunesta for sleep.

Along with that there is no harm in taking Aleve or Motrin which will relieve sinus congestion by reduction of inflammation/swelling of the soft tissue, and will also help relieve any pain/discomfort which will also assist you in getting a good sleep.

Additionally, you can use Honey water and Green tea, both are good and natural anti-inflammatory agents and give you soothing effect.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will something like this need hospitalization? Or antibiotics? I know you do not know exactly what this is but what's your opinion? It feels like maybe fluid on rt side I don't know , I just can't stop coughing. Are my lungs weaker Tom valley fever of 1/2012 . Can steroids they put me on do this? Or 3 months only of smoking 6 cigarettes a day. I can't touch them ever now. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the follow up question.

At this point this does not appear to be something that would require hospitalization and management indoor.

However, at the same time this should be taken casually and must be investigated at earliest.

You need an X-ray of the chest as well as CBC test which will help decide whether you need a round of antibiotics or not.

Long term steroids can affect your immunity and do increase the chance of getting recurrent infections; but we can not say for sure whether this current infection is from steroids or just a seasonal infection which everyone gets once at least.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will rate high. And I'm glad most like,y no hospital. I can't wait to see doc tomorrow. And I don't even care if this is not related to smoking or 3 months. I will NEVER smoke period. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Well there are certain red alarms which if you develop should mean that you should head towards ER; other wise you can wait.

Shortness of breath.

Chest pain.

Palpitations.

Drowsiness.

Lethargy and feeling weak.

Dehydrated.

Cyanosis (bluish discoloration of fingers and tongue due to low oxygen in body---off course this is associated with other symptoms like shortness of breath and fatigue/drowsiness at times).

Kindest Regards.