911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

is there any treatment for amebas in lakes that attack the

is there any treatment for amebas in lakes that attack the brain?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

I believe you are speaking about infection with Naegleria Fowleri.

911DOC :

here is a link

911DOC :

N. fowleri

911DOC :

unfortunately, there is no known cure, most infected with this die.... 99% fatality rate

Customer:

Is there any treatment for it.

911DOC :

but it is extremely rare

911DOC :

see above

911DOC :

to restate

911DOC :

with the rare patient who does prove to have this

911DOC :

there is no known cure

911DOC :

but there is little reason to worry in your son's case

911DOC :

due to the rarity

911DOC :

and to his relatively benign symptoms

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

there have been thirty one cases over the last decade in the US

911DOC :

that's it

Customer:

any tests that can be done to verify is he has it.

911DOC :

if you will, after we finish our chat, click on the link I sent above, I believe all your questions about this will be answered

911DOC :

the problem is that there is not a good test for it

911DOC :

nothing reliable as of yet

911DOC :

might I ask where your grandson was waterskiiing? what region of the country?

Customer:

he lives in Greenville,sc

911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

so this extremely rare ameba is found almost exclusively in very warm water

911DOC :

and while it is always possible in the southern states to be exposed to this in any fresh-water lake, it is so rare that I would really try to stop worrying about this. that being said, I am a dad, and I understand your concern.

911DOC :

I am standing by

911DOC :

do you have any more questions for me about this ma'am?

Customer:

Thanks for your help. the local doctor just said that it would have progressed more rapidly at this time. Will just pray. Thanks for your help

911DOC :

I agree with his local physician. If one is unfortunate enough to get infected with this the disease looks a lot like meningitis, and patients typically get sicker and sicker and rather queickly

911DOC :

'quickly'

911DOC :

and I will say a prayer for him as well if that is okay with you

Customer:

That would be nice. God Bless you

911DOC :

and you as well, and I have already said a prayer and I am confident he will get better soon

911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician