Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am a 54 yr old female. I was diagnosed with CKD. On my last

I am a 54 yr old female. I was diagnosed with CKD. On my last blood/urine test my creatinine went from 1.23 to 1.34 and my gfr went from 46 to 41. In six months time. I am so scared.
i have a nephrologist. I was never told to not excercise or watch red meat consumption so had red meat dinner eve before tests. Is this a serious concern?
I feel so worried and anxious.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Are you on any medication?

Q. What other conditions do you suffer from, if any?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lisinopril zocor zoloft and 1 otc prlosec a day

fasting blood glucose 91 no other health conditions

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the details.

Chronic Kidney Disease means that there is progressive deterioration of kidney functions over a course of months to years depending on the underlying pathology, the treatment given and the precautions taken.
There are 5 stages of this condition, the fifth one being established kidney failure.
A GFR from 46 to 41 means that you have gone from stage 3a to stage 3b.
You are on an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor (Lisinopril) which is used both for hypertension and for CKD, to slow the progression of the disease. However, certain lifestyle and dietary changes are also recommended which include a decrease in protein intake as well including decreased intake of red meat.
You should consult your Nephrologist and have a close follow up with him. You should also consult a Nutritionist for the proper dietary advice for individuals suffering from CKD.
CKD increases the risk for cardiovascular disease and the cardiovascular events are more commonly the cause of morbidity and mortality in patients who suffer frmo CKD rather than the kidney failure itself.
Supplements like erythropoietin, calcitonin, iron etc are also required to be replaced in CKD patients but more so for people with stage 4 and 5 disease however, a check for the levels of iron, haemoglobin, calcium should be done serially and replacement done whenever required.
I suggest that you be proactive in your management and follow up more frequently with your doctors in order to get the most efficient treatment that will slow down the progression of this condition.
Hope this has helped.
Please do leave a positive rating if you are satisfied with the service.
If you have more queries or need more information please reply back without rating.
Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You,I see my nephrologist in 3 weeks. How long can one stay in stage three before declining to stage 5?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.

It depends on many factors. If the proper treatment is started and the patient is serious about his/her health and the underlying condition causing the CKD like diabetes or hypertension is controlled, it may take years for the person to go from stage 3 to stage 4. Stage 5 is end stage and it is rare to jump from stage 3 kidney disease to stage 5 kidney disease.
There are patients who progressed from stage 3 to stage 4 in 10 years with the right treatment.
People in Stage 3 CKD will usually visit their doctor every 3-6 months. Blood tests for creatinine, hemoglobin, calcium and phosphorus levels will be performed to see how well the kidneys are functioning. The doctor will also monitor other conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
Hope this has helped.
Best.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.