911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

If I took 3 5mg Vicodin in one week, two one day and another

If I took 3 5mg Vicodin in one week, two one day and another one two days later, would that show on a hair follicle test?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

it would

911DOC :

it would also depend on when the test was done in relation to when you took the vicodin

911DOC :

the drug they test for is called hydrocodone

911DOC :

which is part of the vicodin

911DOC :

it also depends on whether you get the standard test or the expanded test

911DOC :

which would be hard to know in advance

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

simply type in the box below and then click 'reply'

Customer: Yes, I'm here. The test would likely be more than 30 Amy's later.
Customer: Days.
911DOC :

three months is considered the wash out time for hydrocodone on the hair follicle test

911DOC :

chances are this will be positive

911DOC :

even at the low doses you are talking about

Customer: So even that little amount would be detected? Is there not a lower limit cut off amount that the test detects?
911DOC :

there is indeed a cut off amount

911DOC :

but the precision of the test is such that this will be the determining factor

911DOC :

they will see they hydrocodone

911DOC :

the question is whether it will bump over their minimum threshold

Customer: Is there a typical minimum threshold? Do you think this amount would be enough to be over it?
911DOC :

yes there is, and often it's company specific

911DOC :

so there is simply no way to know without actually doing the test

911DOC :

but give me a minute to see if I can pull up a graph of detection times

Customer: Ok
911DOC :

as you might expect, the companies that produce the tests to not print their accuracy

911DOC :

the best I could find is chat boards which is not helpful

911DOC :

the point is that the hair follicle test is highly sensitive (will detect even small amounts of a drug)

911DOC :

highly specific (when it finds a drug it really does find that drug)

911DOC :

and can detect hydrocodone for about 90 days after use, though there is some lag time between time you take the hydrocodone and the time it shows up in the hair

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: Ok, well I think that pretty well answers my question. Thank you.
911DOC :

I wish there was a way to reassure you and you may skate by on a low concentration reading outside the company's parameters, I certainly hope so

Customer: I don't know if will even get one. Just wanted to be educated in case it happens.
911DOC :

Many people in your situation try to get a prescription for hydrocodone. I am not recommending this, but have been on the receiving end of this request for just this reason, as a valid prescription within the previous few months can explain a positive test.

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer: No.
911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician