Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

What would make a blood test result for 19.9 fluctuate?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today. Can I have more details please?

- Blood test for what - WBC, blood sugar?

- What other blood tests and scans have you done? What are the reports?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CA-19.9 tumour marker was above normal at 44 and then climbed rapidly 99

This happened a few months ago , went for MRI and a detailed CT scan on pancreas and surrounding organs. Scan was negative and CA count normalised.

Count is now above normal again at 51, medical advice is to wait another month and test again. Their only suggestion as to cause is digestive related medication which I do not take.

Would really like to know what else could cause this fluctuation in this marker.

Melody,

CA 19.9 is elevated in a number of gastro-intestinal cancers like pancreatic cancers, colorectal cancer, esophageal cancer and liver carcinoma.

But it can also be elevated in benign diseases like pancreatitis, obstruction of the bile duct, gallbladder stones and cirrhosis of the liver etc.

Please ask your doctors to check you for these conditions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a reason for concern? I had an endoscopy done and found a small hernia in my stomach.

My liver has hyperplasia lesions there are two of them one in section 7 and one in section 8 of the liver. These are suppose to be benign.

Is there a need for concern for these and could these be what is making the CA 19.9 blood count elevate?

Thankyou

Melody,

The CA 19.9 test is not reliable as a screening test for cancer since it can increase for a number of causes. It is mainly used follow-up after treatment of pancreatic cancer. A decrease in the CA 19.9 level after chemotherapy is indicative of cure of pancreatic cancer.

In your case, it is very likely that the hepatic lesions are the cause of the rise in your CA 19.9. The fluctuations possibly occur when one or the other temporarily enlarges or regresses.

I hope this helps.