Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I just had a TSH test done and the physicians assistant said

I just had a TSH test done and the physician's assistant said that my TSH level was high - then she prescribed a lower dose of Levothyroxine - she went down from 125 to 100. That was a month ago, and I feel exhausted, my lips are cracked and peeling, I'm cold and lethargic. Did she goof? I thought that if the TSH level was high, she would need to increase the dose of Levothyroxine. I've never been on a low dose of 100 since I began treatment 30 years ago. She won't return my phone call regarding my question. What do you think?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

high TSH levels above 3.0 means you are hypothyroid or that you don't have enough thyroid hormone in your body.

so if you are on levothyroxine already, your dose should be increased. you are correct.

you need to call the doctor or physician assistant up right away and find out what your TSH level was. some PA don't understand that normal TSH levels should be between 0.3 and 2.5 or 3.0. many lab slips say the normal TSH level is 0.5 to 4.5, but the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist in 2003 recommended new levels for TSH level to be between 0.3 and 3.0 as normal.

see here

if the PA is just looking at the "normal" range on the lab sheet, she might be thinking your TSH level is normal when it is not.

get a copy of the TSH blood test

keep calling or visit the office and ask for a copy of the lab report to find out what is going on.