Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My ankles are swollen. I am 85 years old and I never had this

My ankles are swollen. I am 85 years old and I never had this problem. My health is ok for my age. No major problems. I am female.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Are you overweight?
Is there pain in ankles besides swelling?
Since how long you have noticed this swelling?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. No. About 2 weeks ago.

Dear Luz Noel,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The painless swelling in ankles you are having since last 2 weeks is medically called as 'edema'.Edema is another term for water retention. Hands, feet and other body parts swell and look puffy without pain when the body's tissues retain too much fluid.

The most common cause of edema ankle/foot are:Prolonged standing,long journeys,increased age,venous insufficiency,varicose veins,certain medications.Edema can also be due to heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure.

You need following tests:

-Liver function tests(LFT)
-Kidney function test(KFT)
-Cardiac function test(CFT)
-Radiographic tests
-Complete urine examination.
-Serum albumin & globulin levels.

Till you get consultation with your doctor,following will help you:A low-salt diet is recommended.Avoid excess fluid intake.It usually helps.Elevation of leg & applying ice will relieve your symptoms temporarily.

Symptomatic treatment is done accordingly.A low dose of a diuretic (water pill) may be prescribed accordingly.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till then follow these tips & guidelines.It will help you greatly for symptomatic relief.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi Luz Noel

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted the doctor?
Was those tests done?What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert