Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

Hi... I want to go to rehab but they will not accept me unless

Customer Question

Hi... I want to go to rehab but they will not accept me unless i do a 10 day detox first because i take diazepam. I am also a cigarette smoker so will not be able to smoke either. I feel very anxious that they have told me this as I want to deal with my alcohol issue first and then see where my benzo level is from when I am abstinent from alcohol. Do all rehab centres not take you because of benzos? I take 15 mgs a day. I would have thought baby steps are the best way and have heard Drs prescribe benzos to help with withdrawal symptons from alcohol and then wean fro there?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

You are 100% correct. It's not a good idea to stop alcohol and benzos right at once

This can cause severe withdrawal and seizures

I would find one where you can get off alcohol then taper off benzos

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Phil... I thought the same...very dangerous. I contacted this Rehab called 'The Bridge' In Christchurch as I have limited funds and I am on a sickness benefit. It was very daunting to hear that I have to go to a detox unit first. Seems so unrealistic to expect me to do this. I may to look at other rehab centres. Do you know of any in New Zealand that are not to costly?

Thanks Judith.

I don't know of any specific ones but here is a number you can call for help

http://www.adanz.org.nz/services/home

check out that site
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks... I will check that out. I really want to succeed with the battle of my problem drinking. Had a liver function test done and quite high... 414. Scaring me enough to do this. Thanks for your help

You're welcome Judith.

I truly wish you the best

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello again... Thanks for the 7 day free advice. I tried to contact you but at that time communication errors were a barrier. Anyway, further to our conversations regarding my alcohol/rehab issues I have further investigated in regards to rehabs that will accept you into rehab but the big barrier is the benzos in acceptance to these places. Only two in New Zealand will accept me with the benzos and the are way out of my league due to the costly fees. I have a family friend who has been lucky enough to go through Capri hospital on benzos and has succesfully been abstinent from alcohol and benzos but was treated with an alternative treatment called quetiapine to help her through this and still takes 25 mg at night to sleep. She come down from the North Island of New Zealand to help with my problem and we went to Dr together but he was not satisfied that she could treat me with this drug (apparently non-addictive) and wanted to further investigate it but unfortunately he will be away on holiday for 3 weeks. He is happy for her to stay with me to be free of alcohol, stay on benzos for now but my concern is no rehab will accept me (even abstinent from alcohol) til I am free of benzos. Sounds crazy to me and the Dr that this has to be the case (unless you are very wealthy) Please give me some advice as I don't know where to go from here. It's the alcohol that will kill me before the benzos

So your doctor wouldn't prescribe quetiapine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No, Dr wouldn't prescribe quetiapine as he wants to further investigate this drug and he will be on holiday for 3 weeks. For what reason I don't know. He is a good Dr but not sure why he has said this. What are your experiences with this drug? Is it an alternative to benzos? Most importantly does it work?

Yes, actually I think it's a good idea Judith

the med works well
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That is what my friend said and still takes it after going through her own issues with alcohol for years. If prescribed to me, will Dr take me straight off diazepam or taper?

They will taper off diazepam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok. In your opinion is it addictive? Research of my own online, some say it is but most say it's not. Getting back to the rehabs, do rehabs in America admit you on benzos or is it similar to new Zealand...detox before admission?

No, it's not addictive

In the US, we have detox centers then you go to rehab.

It's all private pay though so it's expensive to do that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you Dr Phil... I need to ask you more questions later. Will be in contact with my friend who will be pleased you are in agreement with this med

Ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Phil once again! Following my conversations with you re alcohol/rehab... We (my friend who is going to stay with me) are going to start the detox of alcohol, keep on the benzos and wait for my GP to return from his holiday then go back (hopefully abstinent from alcohol during that time) and then look at quetiapine as a substitute for the valium so that I can be admitted to rehab. She knows of a great rehab in Auckland NZ that is basically run by volunteers (not councellors or med pros but people that have experienced issues through alcohol abuse/drug etc. It does come at a cost of NZ $6000 for a 30 day stay as has a strict daily regime to follow. It is called 'The Retreat' and originates from the US so is practically new to New Zealand. Through all my friends experiences she volunteers there. I do have cheaper options in regards to rehabs once I'm off the valium. What I just can't seem to comprehend with these rehabs, Is the main issue at hand is the alcohol that has got my liver in so much trouble. My friend agrees with me that the killer (alcohol) should be addressed first without having the hassels of coming off a prescription drug that is not killing me. Have you heard of 'The Retreat'?
I have not but it sounds similar to what we have hear.

This sounds like an excellent plan Judith.

I wish you the best. :)