911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Had lap cholecystectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago.1 week later severe

Had lap cholecystectomy 3 1/2 weeks ago.1 week later severe body trauma hives.prednisone & benadryl. Next week pneumonia doxycycline hyclate & flovent. Day 6 of pneumonia meds feel better but get nausea and light headed when tired. Still have diarrhea ( from antibiotics probably). Is this normal. How long until I feel better. Can I take gravol for nausea at bed time or should I take it regularly.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

There is no way for me to tell you when you are going to feel better because to determine the cause of your various symptoms would be hard even if I had you in the ER

911DOC :

but

911DOC :

I think that you are still in the post operative period

911DOC :

and that stomach upset and some nausea and diarrhea

911DOC :

are not out of the ordinary

911DOC :

as to the gravol

911DOC :

you can take this at night only if you like

911DOC :

but if nausea is a big problem for you

911DOC :

there is no reason not to take it as written,

911DOC :

which is usually either three or four times a day depending on formulation

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Thank you. With the hives & pneumonia how long will my normal recovery time be extended ? Was originally to be off work for 4weeks.

911DOC :

again, hard to say, would need to see your labs and Xrays and do an exam, but I think it need not necessarily prolong your recovery, depends a lot on if you are in good shape and if you do not smoke...

911DOC :

if you are not in good shape and smoke the pneumonia is likely to extend your recovery by a few days to a week

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Smoke about 1/2to3/4pack per day down to 3 or 4 per day usually only having a couple puffs at a time.still get tired very easily like cooking supper wipes me out.

911DOC :

so this is going to be a hard time for you.. sounds like it already has been.....

911DOC :

perhaps this surgery and the recovery can be a wake-up call that you need to change some things

911DOC :

that being said

911DOC :

very important to follow your doctor's instructions

911DOC :

and if you have an incentive spirometer

911DOC :

a device you breathe into and suck air out of

911DOC :

you need to use it every day, just like you are supposed to

911DOC :

they usually give you one of these after the surgery

911DOC :

but it would help a lot with the recovery from pneumonia as welll

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Don't have one never received one will taking deep breaths do the same thing.

911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

breathing through a straw (or trying to) can do a similar thing

Customer:

How often should I do this ? I know smoking is bad for me especially now but just can't seem to quit is the amount that I've cut back & only having a couple puffs every few hours helping at all

911DOC :

cutting back is good

911DOC :

and if you can simply take a twenty minute walk once a day that would be great

911DOC :

can you do that?

Customer:

Can it be around the house or should ot be outside & yes I probably can do 20 mins.is sun an issue when taking doxycycline.

Customer:

Do I need to take frequent naps or is just sitting and relaxing sufficient rest.

Customer:

Thank you for your knowledge.

911DOC :

I'm sorry, one of my kids had an outside emergency...

911DOC :

outside would be best.... can get your heart going better out there and not have to change direction so much

911DOC :

sun and doxycycline.... one minute... let me check

911DOC :

there is a warning for photosentitivity

911DOC :

but this really would be more a warning about prolonged sun exposure , such as at the beach

911DOC :

so 20 minutes outside walking would not be an issue

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Hope your child is fine I really appreciate your time.so if I go around the block a couple times once in the morning and once in the afternoon it would be good?

911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

and as you regain strength

911DOC :

you can build on this

911DOC :

and eventually you can stop smoking too

911DOC :

but one step at a time

Customer:

I will be trying to quit smoking. One last question should I take gravol or Imodium before my antibiotics to help with the nausea it seems worst about 1/2 hour after antibiotics.

911DOC :

there is no reason not to take those

911DOC :

the gravol for nausea

911DOC :

and the immodium for diarrhea

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

How long before my antibiotics should I take them?

911DOC :

I think thirty minutes is reasonable, perhaps an hour... there's no need to take the immodium if you are not having diarrhea

911DOC :

but the gravol would be good thirty minutes to an hour prior if the antibiotics are hard on your stomach

Customer:

Sometimes diarrhea after antibiotics but mainly very loose stool still on mostly liquid diet adding bread ( sandwiches ). No full meals yet.

911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

does your surgeon know you are taking the immodium?

Customer:

Haven't tried any yet just gravol at night he is on holiday for another week saw an et doctorfor ppneumonia.

911DOC :

I see

911DOC :

so immodium is for a day or two or three at the most

911DOC :

it is not clear that your diarrhea is from the antibiotics

911DOC :

and when your surgeon comes back

911DOC :

be sure to let him know about these issues

Customer:

Thank you I am just very tired of being sick can't yet see the light at the end of this tunnel. My surgeon is an hour away and I feel like I shouldn't bother the er doctors with these seemingly minor problems. I may be overreacting.

911DOC :

I think you are acting very reasonably and taking good care of yourself

911DOC :

It's a good thing to ask these questions about your health and I'm happy to fill in when you can't speak with your doctor

Customer:

Thank you and have a good night.

911DOC :

you as well

911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician