Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am an 84 year old male. Sometimes (like now) it is difficult

I am an 84 year old male. Sometimes (like now) it is difficult to defecate and at other times it seems to be normal, and sometimes the stool is very thin and requires much effort. Could it be an enlarged prostate, even though urinating has no problem?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

the prostate has to be super super super super large to affect bowel movements.

most prostates are not this large, even at age 84.

it is most likely occational constipation or irritable bowel syndrome or your diet which might not contain enough fiber which is causing this occational difficulty with bowel movements or sometimes thin stools.

have you gotten a colonoscopy recently? you should see a GI doctor and get a colonoscopy if you haven't in a while and get your stools tested for blood to make sure.

have you tried to increase the amount of fiber in your diet? that sometimes can help you have bowel movements easier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr.David.

One more question......

If it WERE a prostate problem, wouldn't it probably result in urination problems, as well?

Thank you

yes, enlarged prostate most often causes weak urinary stream, frequent urination, urinary urgency, intermittent flow, things like this.

a prostate ultrasound can tell for sure how large your prostate really is.

a urology doctor would be the one to help you assess the size of your prostate.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com