Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I am a 63 female, 5 3", 127 pounds. Very active everyday.

I am a 63 female, 5' 3", 127 pounds. Very active everyday. On weekend nights (Sat. Sun.) I watch one movie w/one diet soda and two bags of popcorn. During weekend days I work outside using chain saw and push mower 4-6 hours, sweat all over just like a man and drink mega amounts of water. I have 2.5 acres so Sat and Sun are for yardwork only. I live on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay very hot, very humid.
Am I damaging my body? Or am I drinking enough water, sweating and working enough to balance
Welcome, as an Internist I will try to answer your Medical Question, for informational purposes only, please see your doctor as needed.

Hello. I would assume you are ingesting more than two bags of popcorn a day (?). If you want to calculate your average caloric needs, you can use this simple webpage and calculate your needs based on your BMI.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6887026_calculate-bmi-calorie-intake.html

You need to meet your daily caloric requirement.

In terms of fluid needs, the best way it to watch your urine, if it is concentrated or not? You drink "mega amounts" of water, so I assume that is enough.

please get back to me with questions Dr Frank T
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please read my original question. Not worried about caloric intake just the sodium. I eat a balanced diet during the day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I did not realize you were discussing sodium homeostasis. Sodium regulation is very complex, it includes calculations of insensible and sensible water loss (urine and sweat) which is matched to your sodium intake. Given your climate and work load, you have to be cautious that you do not create hyponatremia (low sodium) from ingestion of too much water with your work, you may need to supplement with electrolytes, such as sports drinks, that have plenty of sodium,, potassium, and magnesium Regulation of sodium is complex, but in the excess state, is reduced at the level of the kidney, so hypernatremia is not as much of a problem.

I will attach an article that discusses this issue in detail. Please get back to me with questions if I can help Dr Frank t

http://www.jacn.org/content/25/suppl_3/231S.full