Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

my son has alcohol cirrohis and bipolar. In April he attempted

my son has alcohol cirrohis and bipolar. In April he attempted suicide and was treated and his liver functon was 20%. Now 2 months later it is rated normal with blood work. Is it possible for the liver to regenerate in just 2 months?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and am ready to help.

I am sorry for your son.

normal liver enzymes does not mean the liver is normal.

the liver can regenerate and repair itself.

sometimes small bile stones can block off the liver and cause temporary liver inflammation as well.

most likely he still has cirrhosis since once liver turns into fat, it doesn't turn back to normal liver tissue.

but the small amount of normal liver tissue he does have could be making normal liver enzyme levels. this does not mean his liver is normal.

a full liver profile and hepatitis panel and liver MRI/CT/or ultrasound scan and liver biopsy is needed to assess his liver function.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you. He will go to a liver specialist in 2 weeks so we will see what happens. I just wanted to get another answer.

best of luck to you and your son.

I hope he stays away from the alcohol and takes his bipolar medications

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using