Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Hi, I have pain in my left shoulder, breast area, and rib cage.

Hi, I have pain in my left shoulder, breast area, and rib cage. Sometimes the pain spreads down to my hip as well. I have been to the doctor numerous times for this and each time they say it is a problem with my shoulder and send me to Physical Therapy. In March, I was diagnosed with a mildly enlarge spleen, but the docs say that is not causing these problems.
The pain is not in all those areas at the same time, it might be in my shoulder for a few days, then my chest for a day, then my ribs for a week. There is also a tight feeling at the edge of my ribs. Today, it is in my ribs and hurts if I sit a certain way, but the uncomfortable feeling is there. I also have a cold right now, so all the coughing is not helping anything. I'm at my wits end with my clinic (I go to a military clinic, so I see several different doctors). Just wanna feel better.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, pain that moves around can be typical of fibromyalgia.
But have you had any imaging of the shoulder, the spine, anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had X-ray of my neck, upper and lower back.
Lots of blood work.
Would I have fibro in just one area? And would I have a full tight feeling?
An x ray of the neck is useless. It does not show disc compressions and nerve roots.

Fibro can start in one area and then move around.

If it were me, since they were thinking neck based on exam, I would demand an MRI of the cervical spine.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you can't diagnose me, but do you think from what you've gathered it's just something superficial or muscular/ nerve related?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just tired of not knowing. I will definitely ask for that MRI.
cant tell without exam.
In fact, I would ask to see a structural medicine specialist, also called a PM&R doctor or physiatrist.

I would suggest you have disc issues in the neck.

Commonly missed or overlooked.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc