Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have noticed that the water in the toilet bowl after a bowel

I have noticed that the water in the toilet bowl after a bowel movement has been pinkish for a few months now, and initially I put it down to drinking raw juice in the morning which contained beets. However, because my urine is never pinkish I now doubt that. The stool is normally coloured, and does not appear to be bloody, but after sitting for a while I notice the red colour starting to seep from the stool. I have also had a slightly sniffly nose for a year now. It isn't a major issue, although on some days my nose can be more runny than normal. I am 60 and apparently in good health, and am not overweight.
Hello from JA
The first question is have you had a colonoscopy
When and what findings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I haven't. The closest thing to any work in that area was a prostate gland check a couple of years ago. It was healthy.

Ok
First of all beets can color only stool and not urine.
However, you were due a coloscopy for polyp screening at 50 and 60, to rule out polyps, diverticulosis [pockets in the colon that can bleed] and inflammation.

So this is overdue and with this finding, is simply a reminder that you need to see a GI doctor now for the scope.

Cancer screening is behind at this point.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I will do that, although I don't feel that I am any the wiser as to what might be the problem. Are you saying that it could be one of so many things (from mild to serious) that you can't draw any reasonable conclusions at this point?

You can not conclude without the scope.
Possibilities are
hemorrhoids that bleed...most common.
Diverticulosis, common, pockets in the bowel, these can bleed, and they can cause infection.
Polyps, benign or pre cancerous, so they are removed.
Cancer, not likely but needs to be ruled out.
Colitis, inflammation of the bowel, can be for various reasons from autoimmune disease to infection or parasites.

No if anyone tells you they can draw a firm conclusion with anything other than a scope, they are not telling you the truth.