Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Ive recently started taking Xanax 2 mg xr, once daily. Ive

I've recently started taking Xanax 2 mg xr, once daily. I've was taking .5 twice a day for years. Going through a stressful time my anxiety has been really bad.
Monday I went to the ER, I was shaking, my muscles felt weak, I felt like I was week. Heartbeat felt fast. Just scary. ER doctor gave me some ativan took blood test that were normal. All week I have been taking this medicine and all week I have felt weird. Tingly in my hands and feet, light headed, sometimes rapid heartbeat. Is it possible it could be from the xanax 2mg xr?

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

It is possible xanax xr is not working well for you.

Mysticdoc :

xanax xr is a sustained release medication and sometimes may not be absorbing well.

Mysticdoc :

Hence, this may cause delayed action or less efective dosing in your body

Mysticdoc :

It is better to switch to the xanax short acting tablets after discussing with your doctor.

Mysticdoc :

Also nowadays, it is recommended to consider a SSRi to control anxiety symptoms besides xanax or ativan.

Mysticdoc :

SSRI provides better and sustained action over long term.

Mysticdoc :

Common SSRIs used for anxiety are paroxetine, sertraline, duloxetine.

Mysticdoc :

You should discuss this option with your doctor as well.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Mysticdoc : Hi there,
Mysticdoc : It is possible xanax xr is not working well for you.
Mysticdoc : xanax xr is a sustained release medication and sometimes may not be absorbing well.
Mysticdoc : Hence, this may cause delayed action or less efective dosing in your body
Mysticdoc : It is better to switch to the xanax short acting tablets after discussing with your doctor.
Mysticdoc : Also nowadays, it is recommended to consider a SSRi to control anxiety symptoms besides xanax or ativan.
Mysticdoc : SSRI provides better and sustained action over long term.
Mysticdoc : Common SSRIs used for anxiety are paroxetine, sertraline, duloxetine.
Mysticdoc : You should discuss this option with your doctor as well.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile:

Hello from JA

In fact xanax can have many neurological side effects including every symptom you have

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

See this reference under nervous system.http://www.drugs.com/sfx/xanax-side-effects.html

The fact that these started after an effective dose increase is revealing.

It is better to switch medications than to simply take a different form of the same medication.

Talk with your doctor about dealing with this now, and tapering of the current possible offending medications

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.