DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Hi, I had a CT scan with contrast that showed an enlarged subcarinal

Hi, I had a CT scan with contrast that showed an enlarged subcarinal lymph node measuring 2.4cm x 1cm. What does that mean or indicate? I was hospitalized with chest pain and SOB but the doctors say that my heart and lungs were fie. Please help.
Hello from JA
It means you have an enlarged node.
It is essentially in the middle of the chest, under the trachea
IT can be from infection, just a large node, from lung disease or lung cancer.

Further evaluation by a pulmonologist is often needed.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think that's what was causing the chest pain and SOB? On admission, I also had elevated Troponin levels and wbc. My heart rate has been high and irregular at times. The heart cath was clear. On the abdominal CT it showed small pleural effusions with minor dependent atelectasis on lung bases (Bilateral).

The reason I am asking the questions is because I am going back to the pulmonologist on Friday but he believes that there is nothing going on and I am worried that I might end up in the hospital again.

Thanks for the answers I do really appreciate

No this in and of itself should not cause symptoms, without other problems.
Pulmonary function testing is needed.
The pulmonologist should decide if this is a promenant mass or just a harmless node, and if the former, should do a bronchoscopy for biopsy.