Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

My heart beats irregularly after strenuous exercise (weight

My heart beats irregularly after strenuous exercise (weight lifting). I'm 60 years old and have been lifting like this for 45 years. My gastroenterologist tells me I have a hiatal hernia, but says that this would not give me symptoms of irregular heartbeat. After researching on the web I came across some people that experienced the irregular heartbeat after exercise. They said that it was attributed to something called the vagus nerve and this nerve can be affected by a hiatal hernia. As my condition (irregular heartbeat) might be nerve related should I be consulting a neurologist?
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.
Have you seen a cardiologist so far?
Any tests like EKG or any other test done for heart?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I had an ekg, I also wore a holter monitor for a week.

Michael thanks a lot for your input. What was the opinion of your cardiologist? I need to know these things to determine the impact of your hiatal hernia on your heart. Have you been given any medicines so far for this? Have you undergone exercise stress test? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did undergo a stress test all was ok. When I get the episodes of irregular heartbeat I'm not at the cardiologists office. The hiatal hernia and heart arrhythmia didn't seem to him to be related I asked the same question of the gastroenterologist with the same answer.

Michael thanks a lot for your input. Yes this debate has been going for a long time that hiatal hernia and irregular heart beat can be connected. But there is no substantial evidence so far to prove this and that is why your cardiologist and gastro doc have not agreed to this. Irregular heart beat after exercise can be due to many other problems like catecholarminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia. In this problem the release of cetacholamine aggravates the irregular heart beat. It can be controlled by drugs like beta blockers and results are very encouraging. Vagus nerve irritation can cause irregular heart beat but there is nothing that a neurologist can do for this so please don't visit a neurologist as this will not be of any benefit to you. However you should ask your cardiologist, if beta blocker drugs can help you or not in his opinion, he can start them to see the results and in my opinion they might help you. But the vagus nerve connection and its relation to irregular heart beat cannot be fixed by a neurologist. There is one more thing i would like to clarify that even if we accept that your hiatal hernia is causing irregular heat beat, even then it should cause this while you are lying down. While exercising it should cause any problem. I have tried to address your concerns but please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.