We have a question, please. My son 24 years old has developed significant sore throat, plus fewer and fatigue
on last Monday evening. On Tuesday we went to a Walk-in-Clinic and he was seen there by some doctor’s assistant. She got concerned with Mono, but he does not have any much swollen glands. At the clinic there she didn’t even run any strep-throat culture test to exclude any bacterial infection in a first place. Instead, she told him to wait a few days and go for Mono test. Also, she did not give him any antibiotics as she thought they could falsify the Mono test, otherwise. His fever went to 102 F and the following day we went to some other walk-in clinic to see another doctor in there. The doctor at that clinic also examined him and said he did not think most likely it would be any Mono infection at all as his glands are not even swollen so. He also ran a strep-throat test on him on the premises, but it came back negative. He thought more it could be some viral
infection, but on the top of that he gave him a prescription for antibiotics to purchase and start taking only if my son would have noticed any white spots in his throat, so he would not be running back and forth.
I know that Mono tests gives 20% negative results if done during the first week anyways, as per medical literature. On the other hand, if it is bacterial infection now we would not like to wait with the antibiotic. My son actually has developed white spots in his through now which are clearly visible today (following day from the last doctor’s visit) and we think it may be a strong indication of bacterial infection, and therefore requiring antibiotics as soon as possible, and perhaps not to wait any longer (especially that his fever stays on all the time).
Now my questions are regarding all the same:
1. Would this be wise to start taking antibiotics now as the other doctor prescribed in
case of noticing any white spots in his throat?
2. And if he starts taking antibiotics now, and on Monday will go for Mono test just in
case, wouldn’t that falsify his Mono antibody
test, what are the chances of that?
3. Also if it turned out he had Mono infection after all, wouldn’t antibiotics taken now put
him in some extra serious risk of some kind like spleen rupture or so – other than
possibility of rush which we are aware of?
4. Couldn’t white spots in his throat be also caused by some viral infection, or it is just
typical to bacterial infection only?
5. Is it acceptable (normal) that his fever of around 102 stays on after 3 days if it was not Mono, but some other viral throat infection with his described symptoms (as it is not a flu – no typical symptoms for that I believe)?
I trust this will receive your consideration, and I look forward to your opinion, please.
P.S. With all respect, we would like to ask some U.S. internal M.D. or so, due to specificity of tests done here in the USA, if possible.