DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I had a physical recently. All my blood work was within normal

I had a physical recently. All my blood work was within normal ranges, my chest xray came back within normal ranges, and my exercise stress test was normal. They are suspecting that the left side of my heart may be enlarged - I assume from the EKG that they did, and I am scheduled for a echocardiogram. I was shivering during my EKG, and also do extreme metabolic weight lifting training 5-6 days a week, and run 8-12 miles 2 times a week. Is it possible that either of those things could cause me to have an enlarge heart? And, if I do have an enlarged heart, wouldn't there be other flags raised during my stress test or blood work? Thanks!
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have history of high blood pressure?
Any other previous known heart disease?
Do you have any symptoms or was this a routine check up?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Hello

I am a board certified US internist and have advanced training in cardiology.

I can help you with this and follow ups.

Yes running can cause this. It can happen most often in marathon runners.

Unknown causes...idiopathic.

Viral infection.

High blood pressure.

Other problems as well, such as valve disease.

It does happen in those who run long distances. Echo is needed.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My blood pressure is not high, and I went in for a routine physical. If I had valve disease, would something show up in my blood work or with my chest xray or stress test? And, I assume I would have known if I had some type of viral infection. I am just concerned I have a serious condition now! Can they determine from the echo if it is from exercise? And, if it is from that, do I have to stop exercising?!

Valve disease would usually show up on exam as a murmur, but rarely it does not, or the doc misses it. I doubt you have it.
Sometimes there is cardiomyopathy due to previous viral infection and no you might not have known.
Echo will show if this is a non serious enlargement, and no you would not have to stop exercising.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.