Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

What causes swelling in one leg and ankle? My mom is 82 years

What causes swelling in one leg and ankle? My mom is 82 years old--good health--no medication other than her vitamins--Centrium Silver daily
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 8 months ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Does she have pain at the calf or leg/ since when is this swelling there?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

She did have pain just above the ankle the other day. She was sleep tonight when I came home from work but see that her foot and leg is swollen and she attempted to wrap up her leg and elevate it.

Expert:  Ken replied 8 months ago.
Hello Linda,

I can understand your anxiety.

Swelling at one leg is worrisome. The most likely diagnosis {most worrisome} is thrombosis of veins in the leg. Thrombosis leads to blockage of veins carrying blood back to heart from the leg - leading to oozing of fluid from engorged veins and hence the edema or swelling at the leg. This is generally at the most dependent part of the leg {around the ankle}. It is associated with pain {pain increases when you try to squeeze the calf}.

Other causes like lymphedema/ varicose veins/ inflammation of the joints {ankle or knee}/ cellulitis also need to be considered. However I am more worried for thrombosis. The thrombus may dislodge and block veins of the vital organs like lungs, brain. This is dangerous. She may need anticoagulants to dissolve the thrombus.

A physical evaluation {sooner the better} along with few investigations like blood tests/ color doppler for lower limb veins should give us more answers.

Few signs should prompt ER visit - difficulty in breathing/ weakness at any part of the body or loss of consciousness.

Till than - She needs to stay hydrated {dehydration may increase severity of the thrombus}/ have balanced diet/ keep the leg raised whenever possible, raise the leg part of her bed.

Wish her well.

Best

Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you very much. We actually noticed the swelling when the weather was extremely hot so I thought it had something to do with the heat and dehydration. Thanks again for information.

Expert:  Ken replied 8 months ago.
Wish her well.

Best