Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have a question about my husband who is quite sick at the

I have a question about my husband who is quite sick at the moment..Both of our boys were treated at the hospital earlier this week for something much like a nasty flu virus...My husband started running a fever almost 3 days ago and had massive sore throat...I finally talked him into going to the ER this evening when he got home from work because his fever was high again with bad chills and he had a lot of difficulty swallowing...and a lot of pain when he swallowed..The ER doc said he believed it all to still be viral...even though when he examined his throat he said one tonsil had a good size pus sack on it...which is the side that is hurting him the most...The ER doc said he did not need an antibiotic...I'm confused...if there is a pus sac doesnt that mean infection as in bacteria?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Is he still having fever & chills?
Was throat swab test done or any other test done?
Is he having yellowish green phlegm?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes when the Ibuprofen wears off his fever goes back up but not quite as high as it had been but he gets massive chills...He has also a lot of joint pain..ankles , knees, hands..ect...headache..neck pain ..but no sensitivity to light and is very able to touch chin to his chest...And no the ER doc did not do a throat swab...just said it was most likely viral since that was what the boys had just had....no other test were performed and yes he is able to occasionally hack up yellowish or greenish phlem..But when Ibuprofen is in his system..he really doesnt look too bad...

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear JA customer
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The symptoms you have described about husband is most probably because of a condition called tonsillitis & most likely this is due to viral infection.I agree with your ER doctor.

The most common symptoms of tonnsilitis are a sore throat with pain on swallowing, possibly pus on the tonsils, either in a fine film or in spots that can be easily wiped off with a swab.Yes,the pus sack he is having on tonsils can be due to viral infection.

The fever,body pain,chills,difficulty swallowing are because of viral infection of tonsills.

Because his tonsillitis is most probably caused by a virus, antibiotics won't work and your body will fight off the infection on its own over next few days.The viral infection is very contagious,so most likely he has got this infection from the boys.

Following will help him greatly:

-Get enough rest
-Drink warm fluids to ease throat pain
-Following will help him greatly: Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.

-Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies.
-Throat lozenges will also provide great relief. They are available as OTC(over the counter).
-Continue taking Ibuprofen 400 mg for fever & body pains.

So I advice for him to wait & watch for the symptoms,they will go away in next 48-72 hours.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Robert...very much appreciated...One very small question before I pass out from exhaustion here lol...He also has one eye that is very very red... a bit puffy and wont stop watering and gunking up...the ER doc said this was part of the virus but is there anything we can do to alleviate the symptoms with the eye?

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.

Yes,the symptoms he is having in eye is also because of viral infection.Redness,watery eyes are a part of viral infection.The virus will run its course of time & will get cured in next 2-3 days.

Till then to control his eye symptoms,he can take tab.Benadryl from the counter.It is anti histamine medication & is available as over the counter.It will help him greatly to treat the symptoms of watery & red eyes.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so very much....take care

LeAnne :)

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.

LeAnne,
Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi LeAnne

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Has your husband's symptoms cured?
Has he taken the benadryl?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has been taking Claritan because he has to drive alot everyday and the Benadryl was making him way too sleepy...He is doing some what better...Doesnt look as sick but his throat is still sore somewhat but taking far less Ibuprofen to calm it down...Thank you so much for checking back on him ..

Take care

LeAnne :)

Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi LeAnne
Thank you for replying the follow up.

Yes,its very good choice to take claritan if he has to drive a lot because benadryl will cause sedation.

Its good to know that his symptoms are improving & has reduced the frequency of taking Ibuprofen.

Following will further help him for quick relief:

-Keep a humidifier running in the room.

-Use an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day will provide dramatic relief.

-Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.

All this will help him for quick relief & less discomfort from his sore throat & other symptoms.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor