Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

How do I take valacyclovir 500mg fir a herpes outbreak

Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Is this your first outbreak or is it a recurrent episode?
When did the symptoms appear,I mean how many hours back did you noticed the symptoms?
Have you consulted the doctor regarding this for examination so far?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No not my first outbreak but I haven't had one in 5 years.. The symptoms started yesterday... I'm planing to see my doctor tomorrow... I'm in alot of pain and hope I can use the medication I have hear to help me until tomorrow
Dear Devora,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

As you had your first outbreak 5 years ago,you are having a recurrent episode now.For recurrent outbreaks of genital herpes,valacyclovir works best if it is used within 24 hours after the symptoms first appear.

For treatment of recurrent genital herpes is 500 mg twice daily for 3 days. Initiate treatment at the first sign or symptom of an episode.

It can be taken with or without food.

Valcyclovir is a prescription medication.You need to get examined & have prescription from your doctot to get it.So I advice you to request for an immediate appointment with your doctor & hence the treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Hi Devora,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted the doctor?
Were you prescribed for valacyclovir?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I did see my doctor, he prescribed the valacyclovir 500 mg 2 pills three times a day for 5 days... He also gave me Tylenol 3 for pain, but isn't really helping, thanks for following up!
Dear Devora,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes,you are on right medication.Take valacyclovir 500 mg 2 pills three times a day for 5 days as prescribed.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert