911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I was diagnosed with Addisons Disease just 8 days ago on July

I was diagnosed with Addison's Disease just 8 days ago on July 25th.
Before I was diagnosed with AD, I was also prescribed adderall for my ADHD.

I have two questions:
1) Once my body stabilizes itself again (i.e. sodium and potassium settle in, etc) and my hydrocortisone begins to help, how long will I be able to start taking adderal again? As far as my adderal prescription, I am prescribed 20mg adderall.
2) Is is okay/safe to take adderal (even small amounts like 5mg) even though I have addison's disease?

911DOC :

This is a question that you MUST address with your prescribing physician as they will certainly want to know about your new diagnosis of Addisons disease.

911DOC :

There is nothing that springs to mind that would be a contraindication to starting your adderal again, but I can not advise you to do that as I am not your physician

911DOC :

but

911DOC :

a review of the prescribing info for adderal

911DOC :

does not list Addison's as a contraindicaiton nor does it list use of prednisone/hydrocortisone as a contraindication

911DOC :

also

911DOC :

Can you tell me about your symptoms that led to the Addison's diagnosis and were you hospitalized?

Customer:

yes. I began to feel very light-headed, fatigued, I craved salty foods (i.e. pickles, pickle juice, soy sauce, salsa, etc.) and my body began to tan really fast and I was hardly outside or in a tanning bed.

Customer:

I then had a seizure last saturday due to my low sodium. On the proper scale, sodium should be around 135-150. mine was a 114.

911DOC :

wow, you had the classic symptoms

911DOC :

so sorry this happened

Customer:

Yeah i really did. After we googled Addison's, my symptoms hit the nail on the head.

911DOC :

they say that in the ER you will see one or two new Addison's patients in your career. I did see one but they were already diagnosed.

Customer:

I am going to graduate school this september, and I have taken adderal for the past year of school (in very LOW moderation), and I just want to make sure that if I need it for a test, quiz, etc. that the adderal will not affect my addisons or my adrenal glands.

Customer:

And yes, I was told that its very rare. and me being just 23 is even more rare. A doctor who had been working at the hospital for 20 years said I was just his second case.

911DOC :

well, take a look at the link above on adderal and look at it's side effects

911DOC :

as you now know, you do not want to become dehydrated

911DOC :

when Addison's patients become dehydrated or low on sodium that can precipitate a crisis

911DOC :

it would be reasonable to think that you could take adderal.... I can not find nor am I aware of a contraindication with stable Addison's patients

911DOC :

but your prescribing doctor needs to make this call, not me.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

also, in the above link you will see a list of medicines you CAN NOT take with adderal, and hydrocortison/steroids are not on the list

Customer:

Okay. Well I really appreciate your input. I will meet with my prescribing doctor and see what they think I can do. I just want to let you know that I will give you an 'excellent service' rating because it was just that. Thank you so much for your time.

911DOC :

you are most welcome

911DOC :

sorry you have this problem

911DOC :

but if you take good care of yourself you can live a normal life with this diagnosis

911DOC :

but when you get ill take special care and make sure you have access to care quickly

911DOC :

as the crises can be very dangerous indeed

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

No sir/ma'am. I really appreciate your time. Thank you for your consideration and take care and have a good day!

911DOC :

Good. Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc