911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I just got treated for gonerrhea and chlamydia by 4 pills and

I just got treated for gonerrhea and chlamydia by 4 pills and a shot at 1:00 A.M. Wednesday morning......When should my symptoms (yellow discharge) from penis stop? Also will smoking marijuana affect the medicine I was given?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

you should be doing better today, certianly by tomorrow.

911DOC :

marijuana will not affect the medicine and it's ability to cure this.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: I squeeze my penis and the yellow discharge still drips out to the tip...is that normal for it to happen still since my treatment?
911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

the antibiotics need some time to work

911DOC :

at least a day

911DOC :

but you should be somewhat better to day in terms of your symptoms

Customer: Also yesterday a scab formed down one side of my pee hole.....it was a very fine line on the side of the tip...took a shower and it came off.....Is that a normal symptom
911DOC :

it can be

911DOC :

there is no real 'normal' for STDs

911DOC :

though chlamydia and ghonorrhea usually do not form scabs

Customer: Would herpes appear on your urinary hole? and is acyclovir 400mg 3 times a day too much.
911DOC :

Di you get place on acyclovir by the physician?

Customer: My family dr...Yes....he said 2 a day for a year. I was thinking if symptoms came during my normal intake that maybe 1 more pill during an outbreak would help.
Customer: The shot and 4 pills were given when I went to the E.R. Wed. Not related
Customer: 2 did drs
Customer: 2 "different" Dr.s
911DOC :

so you have the diagnosis already of herpes?

Customer: Yed
Customer: Yes
911DOC :

okay

911DOC :

so the suppresive dose is twice a day and the outbreak dose is five times a day

Customer: At 400 mg?
Customer: I was given 5 times a day at 200 mg before but not 400mg
911DOC :

sorry

911DOC :

stand by

911DOC :

there are different doses

911DOC :

let me get the latest recommendation

911DOC :

just need to check my reference

911DOC :

acyclovir is a very safe drug

911DOC :

and you should follow YOUR doctors recommendations

911DOC :

my reference (epocrates) states the for recurrence of HSV the doses suggested are

911DOC :

400 mg 3x/d for five days

911DOC :

or 800mg 3x/d for two days

911DOC :

or 200mg 5x/d for five days

911DOC :

the idea being that smaller doses need more frequent dosing

911DOC :

and that larger doses are more convenient for the patient

911DOC :

i do not know that there is any evidence that any of the above are much different in terms of efficacy

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: Ok thank you.......You are very very helpful...I hope my rating goes directly to you.....Thank you very much....hope I can find you next time when I have more questions.
911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

911DOC :

and yes, your feedback will come to me directly

911DOC :

thank you in advance and good luck

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician